Beale's Spring was used by Native Americans for centuries before Lt. Edward Beale traveled through the area in the 1850s. He established a wagon road along the 35th parallel. In 1865, Beale's Spring became a stop on a toll road from Prescott to Hardyville - now, modern day Bullhead City.
During the Hualapai War of 1866-1870, the site served as a temporary Army outpost. Following the war, the “official” Camp Beale Springs was established in 1871 by Company F, 12th U.S. Infantry out of Fort Whipple in Prescott. Initially, the camp provided continued protection along the Fort Mojave and Prescott Toll Road and acted as a feeding/supply station for the Hualapai Indians.
The camp remained active until April 6, 1874, when the Hualapai Indians were forced to leave Camp Beale's Spring for the Colorado River Indian Tribes reservation at La Paz, near modern-day Parker.
After 1874, the Spring again became a campsite/way station on the toll road. The site remained active well into the twentieth century.
Activities in and around the Spring have included ranching/farming, a way station hotel, ore milling, mining and a water works.
The Beale's Spring site became a water source for the rapidly developing City of Kingman. A water reservoir was built there and is still partially standing today. In addition to serving its intended purpose, the reservoir sometimes doubled as a swimming pool.
After the Beale's Spring site was no longer inhabited, local people held picnics there and enjoyed the water and shade provided by fruit trees that had been planted many years before. Today, you can still enjoy a picnic here in the quiet atmosphere or go hiking.
Time and progress have left their mark on Camp Beale's Spring, but to those who know what happened there, “It is but a jewel with a light coat of dust. …”